Water Smart Program
Water safety with your Y and the Rays
As a leader in drowning prevention, the YMCAs of Tampa Bay have teamed up with the Rays to remind you to be water smart from the start. The Y offers a variety of swim safety programs for both children and adults. This summer, make the Y your home base for water safety.
FUNDAMENTALS – SAFETY AROUND WATER
In addition to swim lessons, the Y teaches children and families essential water skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them and safely satisfy their curiosity.
GIVE YOUR CHILD:
• The opportunity to build confidence around water
• The accomplishment of learning new skills
• The benefits of healthy exercise
• The lifetime gift of staying safe around water
Over eight weeks, a typical 40 minute session includes:
• Exercises to help kids adjust to being in water
• Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets kids can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
• Specific safety topics, like what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help
• Fun activities that reinforce skills