Youth Development Toolkit
Resources to stay engaged, learning and active
Time away from the Y is still an important time for kids and families. Check out these resources to help keep your family connected and engaged! We've collected a library of ideas and links to help you and your family to keep learning and having fun at home!
We will continue to add more resource to this page, so please check back!
Studies show that one of the best ways to reduce stress is through physical activity. Keep your child active while helping them blow off some steam with these tools!
- Kids Bop Dance Videos - Enjoy plenty of dance-along videos and a few dance tutorials to popular music. Just search “dance along” or “tutorial” within their channel, and you will get a good range of lessons.
- GoNoodle® - Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts
- My Y Fitness Online Kid-Friendly Workouts:
- Sports Drills on Y360 - A series of online workout and training videos on specific sports and youth training
- 34 Fun And Easy Minute To Win It Games
- At-Home Swim Lessons for Water and Dry Land (PDF)
Keep learning even when school's out! Check out these online resources for your children.
- The James Museum from Home - Discover a new way to experience the local James Museum through weekly curated content based on their collection.
- 123 Homeschool for ME - Free printable worksheets and educational activities to help make learning fun. Resources arranged by grade or subject.
- Age of Learning - Free home access to ABCmouse, Adventure Academy, and ReadingIQ, leading digital education programs for preschool through middle school students.
- Code.org - Code.org provides the leading curriculum for K–12 computer science and organizes the annual Hour of Code campaign. Find hour-long coding activities by grade level.
- Duolingo - Learning with Duolingo is fun and addictive. Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up. Their bite-sized lessons are effective in learning a new language
- National Geographic Kids - Explore all the resources available from NatGeo Kids from brain-boosters to cool stuff and everything in between.
- Smithsonian Learning Lab - Smithsonian Learning Lab puts the treasures of the world’s largest museum, education, and research complex within reach. The Lab is a free, interactive platform for discovering millions of authentic digital resources, creating content with online tools, and sharing in the Smithsonian’s expansive community of knowledge and learning.
- Audible Stories: Free Audiobooks for Kids - Kids everywhere can stream an incredible collection of stories that will help them continue dreaming and learning.
- Scholastic Learn at Home - Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking and growing
- Khan Academy - offers a wide variety of subjects, courses, instructional content, exercises, quizzes and unit tests
- Funbrain - Offers hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy for kids in grades pre-k through grade 8
- NASA Kids' Club - Games of various skill levels for children pre-k through grade 4, supporting national education standards in STEM
- Story Time From Space - Story Time from Space is a project of the Global Space Education Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit education foundation that sends children’s books to the International Space Station.
- Disney’s “Imagineering in a Box” - Throughout the curriculum, older students can discover how Disney Imagineers bring Disney Parks to life with everything from an overview of engineering software to interactive, hands-on projects
- The Big List of Children’s Authors Doing Online Read-Alouds & Activities - A collection of read-alouds and activities by favorite authors and celebrities
- Animals of the Florida Everglades - The Florida Everglades is home to a variety of species that thrive in warm, wet climates. Learn more about these species, many of which are threatened or endangered.
Crafts & Activities
Utilize fun activities and engaging projects that the whole family can enjoy to keep minds moving and learning during the days without school and work.
- All Kids Network - Discover thousands of fun kids activities like kids crafts, worksheets, coloring pages, printable mazes, dot to dot, hidden pictures, and more.
- Action For Healthy Kids - Game On Activity Library
- DIY Invention Box
- 10 Family Board Games for Ages 7 & Up
- Free Visual Schedule for Toddlers
- Nature Scavenger Hunt with Kids (FREE Printable!)
- Sensory and Concept Learning Activities for Toddlers
- Step outside and engage the senses with these mindfulness activities
An important part of staying healthy is eating healthy! Here are some fun ideas to encourage good nutrition at home:
- Cook a family meal together that includes 5 or more colors of the rainbow.
- Build a garden or pot a plant. Discuss the types of vegetables you want to grow in your garden.
- Start a recipe exchange over email with other families.
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day. Decorate your own water bottle that you will be excited about drinking from all day.
- Check out the Choose My Plate website. There are lots of activities and games to play to help children learn the importance of eating healthy.
- Farm Food 360 - Have you ever wondered how a lot of the food we eat is grown? Do you wonder what it would be like to live on a farm? Farm Food 360 allows people to observe farm life through its 360-degree virtual cameras. Learn about raising pigs, cows, apples, and eggs.
Pinellas Public Library Cooperative
Pinellas Public Library Cooperative offers many digital learning services to Pinellas County Residents. Services include downloadable Audiobooks, eBooks, Magazines and music, musical and artistic instruction through ArtistWorks, language courses through Pronunciator and more!
Pinellas County Schools
Pinellas County Schools has provided resources for students and families, including frequently asked questions and how-to tutorials on digital learning. They have also partnered with Spectrum to offer free wifi to students. Visit the PCSB website to learn more.
Field Trips to Take from Home
Our mission is to connect you and your families - even while at home. How about taking a digital "field trip" once a week?
- Central Florida Zoo’s “Zoo to You” - While the zoo is closed they’ll be live on Facebook every weekday at 2:00 pm featuring an animal and a fun activity for the kids at home!
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Discover The Metropolitan Museum of Art with an interactive map, behind-the-scenes videos, an art time machine, and creative projects for at home.
- Cincinnati Zoo Home Safari - The Cincinnati Zoo is offering a Home Safari via Facebook Live every day at 3:00 pm Eastern Time, highlighting one of their amazing animals. It will include an activity you can do from home.
- Georgia Aquarium - Take a virtual tour through the underwater world at the Georgia Aquarium and check out live feeds of underwater animals.
- With Google Museum Views, take a virtual tour of the some of the world's greatest museums and heritage sites
- Visit the San Diego Zoo site for live animal cams, activities, games and more
- Check in on aquatic friends with live cams of the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- View the Panda Cam at the Atlanta Zoo
- Elephants, gorillas, giraffes and more at the Houston Zoo Cam
- Explore locations within Yellowstone National Park
- Explore the surface of Mars with the Curiosity Rover
- Walk through the Boston Children’s Museum
- Visit France from home and soak in works of art at The Louvre
- See the beauty and history of the Great Wall of China
This is a quickly changing situation and our leadership team will continue to evaluate our operations based on current information and guidance from health officials. We thank you for your patience and understanding. For information on operational closures and other important updates related to coronavirus, visit stpeteymca.org/covid.