Water Safety Program
As a leader in drowning prevention, the YMCAs of Tampa Bay have teamed up with the Florida Blue Foundation to expand the YMCA Water Safety program. Through this program, the Y helps children, families and adults learn essential water safety skills - which can be lifesaving. This summer, make the Y your home base for water safety. It’s never too late to save a life.
YMCA Safety Around Water in the City of Gulfport
In 2019, we teamed up with the City of Gulfport, Stetson University College of Law and Juvenile Welfare Board to provide FREE swim lessons to Gulfport youth ages 3 to 12 for the first time. Each session included five 45-minute classes and were held at the Stetson University College of Law pool.
Water Safety Sessions
Over eight weeks, each 40 minute session will include:
- Exercises to help kids adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim” - two skill sets for children to use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- What to do if you see someone in the water who needs help
- Fun activities that reinforce skills
Give your child:
- The opportunity to build confidence around water
- The accomplishment of learning new skills
- The benefits of healthy exercise
- The lifetime gift of staying safe around water