Water Safety Program
Be Water Smart from the Start
As a leader in drowning prevention, the YMCAs of Tampa Bay have teamed up with the Tampa Bay Rays to remind you to be Water Smart from the Start. The Y offers a variety of swim safety programs for both children and adults. This summer, make the Y your home base for water safety. It’s never too late to save a life.
In addition to swim lessons, the Y teaches children and families essential water skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them and safely satisfy their curiosity.
Give your child:
- The opportunity to build confidence around water
- The accomplishment of learning new skills
- The benefits of healthy exercise
- The lifetime gift of staying safe around water
Over eight weeks, a typical 40 minute session includes:
- Exercises to help kids adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets kids can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- Specific safety topics, like what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help
- Fun activities that reinforce skills