YMCA Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program
Having trouble viewing the video above? Click here
NEW! This 4-month, evidence-based program helps adults with hypertension lower and manage their blood pressure. The program focuses on regulated home self-monitoring of one’s blood pressure using proper measuring techniques, individualized support and nutrition education for better blood pressure management.
How the Program Works:
Participants will receive support from trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors for the duration of the 4-month program. During this time, participants will be encouraged to:
- Learn measuring techniques and record blood pressure at home to share during consultations
- Attend at least two 10-minute personalized consultations per month with our trained Healthy Heart Ambassador
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars to develop healthier eating habits
You will record your blood pressure readings using an easy-to-use tracking tool of your own choosing. The Y can provide options for participants who need a home blood pressure monitor.
Healthy Heart Ambassadors: Certified Healthy Heart Ambassadors will train you on the proper technique for taking your own blood pressure readings accurately, will assist you in identifying trends and patterns in your readings over time and will provide ongoing support as you work to make blood pressure self-monitoring a habit and build confidence in managing your own blood
Office Hour Consultations: Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for one-on-one 10-minute consultations to support you as you continue to better manage your blood pressure. You’ll be asked to attend at least two consultations a month, but you will be welcome any time a Healthy Heart Ambassador is on-duty. To ensure you feel supported throughout the program,you will also receive weekly emails, calls or text messages from a Healthy Heart Ambassador.
Nutrition Education Seminars: Seminars will highlight how food is related to blood pressure management and will provide you with the knowledge and skills to make heart-healthy choices. Seminar topics include reducing sodium intake and heart-healthy eating. Each 60-minute seminar will also offer an opportunity for you to take your own blood pressure with coaching on proper technique from an on-site Heart Healthy Ambassador.
- Reduction in blood pressure
- Better blood pressure management
- Increased awareness of triggers that elevate blood pressure
- Enhanced knowledge to develop healthier eating habits
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have been diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Have not experienced a recent cardiac event
- Do not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Aren't at risk for lymphedema
How To Enroll
The next session will begin in January 2020, and will be held at the following locations: