At the YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg we are strengthening the foundation of our community throughout the St. Petersburg and Largo community. In addition to the countless programs and opportunities made free to the public, the YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg provides scholarship support to ensure equitable access for all so that all families have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
Our Areas of Focus
Our Y believes that all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. We are committed to:
- Helping to develop self-esteem, while learning teamwork through our youth sports, dance academy, childcare and summer camp programming.
- Closing the achievement gap for low income, high risk youth by providing intensive academic and life skill support through our Y Achievers Academic Program, 21st Century Program and summer camp programming.
- Diverting and preventing youth delinquency by improving access to alternative arts activities for at-risk youth and teens through the Prodigy Cultural Arts Program.
Our Y is committed to making a positive impact upon our community’s health and well-being. We are supporting our neighbors by:
- Helping to prevent chronic disease through the evidence-based YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program- reducing participants’ chances of developing diabetes by up to 58%.
- Providing cancer survivors, and their families, with emotional support and fitness training on their journey back to health with the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program.
- Improving the quality of life for older adults by helping them to stay active and healthy through our Active Older Adults programming.
- Combating youth obesity through the Fit4All Kids initiative.
At the Y, we believe in giving back and providing support to our neighbors. We are focused on:
- Teaching life-saving swim safety skills that prevent accidental drowning for low to moderate income youth.
- Providing back-to-school supply drives for local communities.
- Hosting annual community events that provide families with an opportunity to spend time together actively learning about wellness and nutrition.
- Providing over 300 families and 700 children annually with a traditional Christmas through our YMCA Neighbor to Neighbor Christmas Program.
To put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.